Whether you’ve done it before or you are a smudging-newbie, this wonderfully peaceful and ancient ceremony can be done right at home for your very own backyard retreat!
We suggest inviting your friends over, lighting up a campfire (safely), and trying out our ritual checklist. It’s a great way to connect with loved ones and do a little inner-healing too.
Smudging comes from mostly Indigenous roots, but Egyptians, Romans and Greeks used Sage-smudging rituals thousands of years ago!
One of the main purposes of smudging is to cleanse your aura and self of any unwanted and negative energies. It’s also said to promote wisdom and peace.
What you can do during your ceremony ( just a few friendly tips):
1.Begin by lighting up your fire (safely!)
2. When it’s burning beautifully, throw some sage into it. Sage is also said to repel bugs so it’s ideal for camping or campfires even when you’re not performing a sage ceremony
3.Using your abalone shell or bowl, place white sage into it and light up the ends of the sage – when it catches fire, gently blow it out so that what’s left is a soft trail of smoke.
4.Cue the drummer. If anyone drums, this is the time where they shine! Ask your drummer to gently drum while you perform this sage-smudging ceremony.
5. You can go around each person at the fire, circling them once while they think of something they need to heal, let go of, or release.
6. Once you move on to the next person, the previous can write down their intentions of healing on a piece of paper.
7. After everyone has been immersed in Sage ( you may need to re-light from time to time) It’s your turn! You can hold the shell in front of you while the sage is burning and gently cup your hand in front of you gathering smoke and putting it over your head. Be sure to think of an intention too.
8. Invite everyone, in their own time, to place their intentions into the fire. Carefully letting the pieces of paper burn and be cleansed.
9. Ask for a few moments of silence to reflect and release. Breathe deeply and generously. Let it all go.
10. Once everyone has had a chance to release, you can break the silence by offering some delicious cannabis treats to further and deepen the ceremony and feel even more chill.
We love Cannabis Marshmallows – goes perfect when creating smores at the fireside! Check out the video here.
Nothing is better than an Oreo Cookie infused with Cannabis!
We hope this ceremony will help you feel at peace, more relaxed, and a little lighter and brighter. Want more fun edible recipes? Try something sweet like pixie-sticks. Click here.
We’d love to hear from you and what you did to further enjoy your Sage-smudging ceremony.
To read more about the interesting health benefits of sage, click here.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter!
Receive FREE monthly cannabis recipes, hacks, latest info, news and more to your mailbox.